Saturday, September 25, 2010

LOST... like the TV show. Only not at all.

I've been thinking a lot recently about the whole concept of being lost.  Here in Geneva, I have found myself lost on more than one occasion.  You know the feeling... you look around, nothing looks familiar, your pulse starts racing, and you revert back to those moments in your childhood when you were sure you could handle venturing away from your parents in the department store and then suddenly they are nowhere to be found?  Even with map in hand, I sometimes can't figure out which way is north.  I will walk along for a bit, then realize I am going in the completely wrong direction.  And so it goes...

But then I got to thinking about it some more... and in the grand scheme of things, can I ever TRULY be lost?  And I mean this even without the help of my iPhone--which I unfortunately don't have here.  The fact is--I know exactly where I am.  I'm in Geneva.  In Switzerland.  In Europe.  On the planet Earth.  In the universe.  So even if I may not quite know all the landmarks yet or have trouble knowing which way is north, I know I'll eventually find my way.  Comforting.

All of this reminds me of Le Renard in Le Petit Prince...   Le Renard explains to Le Petit Prince that he needs to be tamed if they are to be friends, that in this way they will become unique to each other:



- Qui es-tu ? dit le petit prince. Tu es bien joli...
- Je suis un renard, dit le renard.
- Viens jouer avec moi, lui proposa le petit prince. Je suis tellement triste...
- Je ne puis pas jouer avec toi, dit le renard. Je ne suis pas apprivoisé.
- Ah! pardon, fit le petit prince.
Mais, après réflexion, il ajouta:
- Qu'est-ce que signifie "apprivoiser" ?
- Tu n'es pas d'ici, dit le renard, que cherches-tu ?
- Je cherche les hommes, dit le petit prince. Qu'est-ce que signifie "apprivoiser" ?
- Les hommes, dit le renard, ils ont des fusils et ils chassent. C'est bien gênant ! Ils élèvent aussi des poules. C'est leur seul intérêt. Tu cherches des poules ?

- Non, dit le petit prince. Je cherche des amis. Qu'est-ce que signifie "apprivoiser" ?
- C'est une chose trop oubliée, dit le renard. Ça signifie "créer des liens..."
- Créer des liens ?
- Bien sûr, dit le renard. Tu n'es encore pour moi qu'un petit garçon tout semblable à cent mille petits garçons. Et je n'ai pas besoin de toi. Et tu n'as pas besoin de moi non plus. Je ne suis pour toi qu'un renard semblable à cent mille renards. Mais, si tu m'apprivoises, nous aurons besoin l'un de l'autre. Tu seras pour moi unique au monde. Je serai pour toi unique au monde...


Instead of applying these words to a person, I'm thinking of how they apply to place.  Two weeks ago, this city meant nothing to me.  The jet d'eau was just a fountain, the streets all looked the same, nothing about this place was special.  But little by little, as I spend more and more time here, I will tame the city and the city will tame me.  It will be imbued with meaning, unique, as no other city can be.  I certainly won't be getting lost any more by the end of my ten months here (I hope :)).  And I'll recall those first moments of fear.... and smile.  As Le Renard explained his greatest secret, "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.  L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."  So far I've only been looking with my eyes... Here's to "l'apprivoisement" and the many steps that have to take place in between in order to see rightly.

1 comment:

  1. Anyone who truly loves God travels securely.
    ~ St. Teresa of Avila

    Hope that helps. :-)

    ReplyDelete