Sunday, January 30, 2011

Don't Stop Believing...

Recently, I've had this song on repeat on my iPod:  Don't Stop Believin' (Glee version)

Whenever I feel downtrodden, it lifts my spirits... I'm a bit of a sucker for cheese.   And I'm not afraid to say it. :)

But seriously, Journey had something right when they wrote this song...

We may not be able to choose what happens to us all the time, but we can choose how we react. Negativity usually begets more negativity--it's a downward spiral.  But smile at the world, and it often smiles with you.

I've become a bit disenchanted with the whole academic enterprise, with all the reports about slashed budgets, fewer positions, and an overall bleak job outlook for my field... but I really want to finish this dissertation and earn my degree, no matter what I end up doing with it.  Don't stop believing in achieving the dream. 

We can move mountains if we want to--see Tunisia and Egypt.  Our voices can and should be heard.  Don't stop believing in our power to affect change. 

When it comes to matters of the heart, as Jamie Randall says in Love and Other Drugs: "You meet thousands of people, and then you meet one person, and your life is changed… forever." And when it's the real deal, it's the real deal.  Don't stop believing in true love.    

And as far as matters of faith are concerned... questions and doubts abound sometimes.  I believe there's a reason for everything though, and asking the questions, trying to make sense of it all is half the fun.  Don't stop believing...

2 comments:

  1. This is great. Thanks for posting. I needed the boost in remembering to believe in the dream of the degree. We CAN do it. Even those of us that watch a child 8 hours a day, leaving us exhausted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah... wait 'til you see the next post, Rach... dissertations are like marathon training. See what I did there? :) Oh yeah. We can do ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete